[evlatests] More Referenced Pointing Results

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 29 12:42:47 EDT 2007

    As mentioned by Ken, another referenced pointing test was done this
morning.

    The differences between this test and last evening's test are:

    1) The referenced pointing was done at X-band,
    2) The file was in DURATIONS.

    The sequence of operations was the same:

    K band, 'dummy', no ref applied
    K band, no ref applied.
    X band reference solutions
    K band, ref applied
    K band, no ref applied
    X band reference solution
    Q band, ref applied
    Q band, no ref applied
    X band, reference solution
    K band, ref applied
    K band, no ref applied.

    Results:

    1) None of the scans which preceded a reference pointing scan
provided any data!  We had thought this known bug had been fixed --
clearly it has not!  Note -- this problem only applied to files in
durations.

    2) As the final pair of scans were observed (there being no pointing
scan following the final one), we can test for the application of the
referenced pointing.  *** There is no evidence that any referenced
pointing solution was applied to any antenna! ***  As the reference
pointing solutions are large (typically 0.5 arcminutes, not surprising
given the sunny skies and low sun angle), the amplitude difference would
have been obvious.  There is no change of amplitude with, or without,
referenced pointing.
    Note that this behavior is quite different than yesterday's -- where
I claim that for stoptime files, the solutions ARE applied to EVLA
antennas, and not (at least in some cases) to VLA antennas.

    3) More bad news:  There was a global phase jump between the last
pair of scans -- referenced to an EVLA antenna, all VLA antennas
'jumped' by about 80 degrees.  Both polarizations of both IFs jumped by
about the same amount.  All EVLA antennas remained at their prior
levels.  There was no change of band, frequency, of Fluke setting,
between these scans.

    4) Antenna 18, IFs A and C, have their phases jumping up and down,
by about 80 degrees.  The duration of the 'jumped' state is 10 seconds,
exactly.

    <Audible Sigh>  We're not out of the woods, yet.

    We will try run this file again, but with stoptimes, when time is
available.