[evlatests] Tsys, and Tcals at P-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 2 15:30:30 EDT 2007

    Can anybody tell me if the Tcals, for the EVLA and VLA antennas, are
close to being right?

    The question arises because in reviewing the claimed system
temperatures at P-band, an extremely wide range of values is seen.
    In general, the claimed Tsys for EVLA antennas is quite a bit higher
(typically 50%) than on the VLA antennas -- with the single exception of
antenna 14, where it is distinctly better.  I have noted in the past
that this antenna is considerably more sensitive than other EVLA
antennas, which tends to support the view that these Tsys values reflect
reality.

    Two antennas have Tsys values right off the map:  VLA antenna 4
(which I have noted before is giving very bad data), and EVLA 26, where
the Tsys for the four IFs is 1500, 280, 6000, and 600 K (IFs A, C, B, D).