[evlatests] More on jumps

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 11 19:56:35 EDT 2006

    Immediately following the spectral line file which I reported on
earlier today, I ran a continuum file, on the same source, at 50 MHz,
and the 0.4 sec averaging.   The duration of the run was about 2 hours.
I did the same 3-frequency cycle (L, C, X), two minutes integration on each.

    Although this file also shows the IF1-IF2 jumps, they are very much
less common.  At L-band (the only frequency I've had time to reduce, so
far):

    *  No EVLA antennas jumped (except 14, which is special)
    * Only 7 VLA antennas showed any jumps at all, and for three of
these, there was only 1 or 2 jumps.
    * Antenna 12 -- usually the worst jumper in the array, was good as
could be.
    * Antenna 6 -- the 2nd worst jumper in general, was quite bad.

    There is no pattern, no rhyme or reason to this, that I've yet been
able to discern.

    There is much more data to sift through, as we had a test run that
lasted all night.  Reports will come out tomorrow.