[evlatests] IF1 - IF2 phase jumps

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 11 13:45:00 EDT 2006

    A few more top-level observations on this problem.

    There is a major phase problem between VLA and EVLA for this run.
When referenced to a VLA antenna, the EVLA phases are 'all over the
place'.  But when referenced to an EVLA antenna, they look normal,
within the bounds expected by weather effects.

    There is no IF1 - IF2 phase difference problem between the EVLA
antennas -- other than for antenna 14, which is bad because 14BD has the
old firmware.

    There are many IF1 - IF2 phase differences, at all three bands,
amongst the VLA antennas.   These jumps are both 'up' and 'down', and
have different values between the bands, and within a single band.
Antennas 6 and 12 have characteristics rather different than the others,
-- the also jump much more frequently.

    I'm quite sure I would have noticed these effects in my tests taken
prior to my Australian trip (left in mid-Sept.) -- whatever is doing
this was I think triggered by events since about mid-Sept.