[evlatests] VLA-VLA phase jumps

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 10 14:08:40 EDT 2006

    It's all very confusing ...

    Gustaaf, Mark, and I loaded most of the data taken over the past
week, and looked at the calibrator phase behavior.  In general, it is
clear that the very bad phase behavior seen by me in the two test runs
last week (Wednesday and Thursday mornings) are not seen in any of the
runs over the past week.  I therefore believe there is no reason to
extend the current configuration to re-observe any of these projects.

    However, it is also clear that some of these runs are not completely
free of the effects noted.  Michael (using a convenient option in SNPLT
that I was unaware of:  'OPCOD = IFDF') has clearly shown isolated
incidents of R1-R2, or L1-L2 phase jumps similar to the spectacular
examples that caught my eye last week.

    During the remainder of maintenance time, when the array is not
being used for more important things, I will repeat the file which so
spectacularly caused the bad behavior noted last week.