[evlatests] EVLA Antenna work today

Jim Jackson jjackson at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Mar 1 17:36:12 EST 2006

The cable on the Antenna 13 L-Band receiver was simply not installed
correctly, probably after someone ran some test or another.  This is a
procedural issue - people are supposed to be tightening SMA connectors to a
specified torque using wrenches that we have on hand.  Additionally, Heliax
cables are somewhat prone to self loosening due to the stiffness of the
cables and movement of the antennas - though not to the extent that this
one was loose.  This type of cable has been used in systems around here for
years due to its very high performance and people are relatively used to
dealing with it.

The first couple sets of cables from the correlator room to the D-racks
have been problematic. They were fairly esoteric Foam Flex and LMR-600
cables which are stiff, expensive and difficult to terminate. We are now
using a different cable - basic RG-214 1/2" coax.  We are also now
considering going to RG-223 cable due to cost issues - this cable was never
budgeted in the project and will be discarded after the transistion..  We
will be testing the RG-223 shortly - it would save about $30-35K.over the
RG-214.

Jim

Jim