[evlatests] LOSER for the transition VLA

Walter Brisken wbrisken at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 12 15:45:16 EDT 2006

By popular demand I have produced "tloser" -- the transition VLA version
of the popular "LOSER" program which calculates LO settings for the VLA.

tloser will report the L301 and L302 synthesizer settings capable of
tuning EVLA antennas with the existing VLA correlator as a backend to a
particular frequency or band.  The program is written in python so can be
used on Solaris, Linux, and maybe even Windows (but I claim no
resposbility for the later).  You can view the program as a text file to
see what it does.  To invoke the program, run

   /home/parallax/bin/tloser

Running with no command line arguments will give instructions which
specify two usage modes:

Usage(1) : ./tloser <band edge freq [MHz]>
Usage(2) : ./tloser <center freq [MHz]>/<bandwidth>

And three examples:

Examples

   ./tloser 1439.9
   ./tloser 1464.9/50

Usage(2) will be popular with those who want to center a particular
frequency within a VLA bandwidth -- the slash (standard filter notation)
is significant.  All frequencies reported are in MHz.

Please report to me any bugs that are found.

Expect "eloser" as a replacement for "tloser" once we get wideband
correlator capabilities and graduate from the transition system.

-Walter