[evlatests] Prototype correlator Installation Plan

Jim Jackson jjackson at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 10 19:30:19 EDT 2006

Hopefully, this suffices for an initial prototype correlator installation
plan. We'll fill in the details as we get closer to actually having a
prototype correlator.

Cheers,
Jim

The current plans for the installation of the prototype correlator are as
follows:

1.  It will be installed in the new shielded correlator room.  Power,
cooling, networking and other infrastructure are expected to be available
in this room well in advance of the prototype correlator arrival sometime
next year.

2.  It will use an integral AC line derived -48VDC power supply.  It will
not rely on the -48VDC power/battery plant being purchased for the WIDAR
correlator.

3.  Fiber optic splitters will be used on the data transmission fibers to
simultaneously drive separate deformatters located in the prototype
correlator and the VLA correlator room.  This will allow the EVLA antennas
to remain in use with the existing VLA system regardless of the operational
status of the prototype correlator.  There is more than sufficient overhead
available from the EDFA's to make up for the loss of this splitter. We will
have to decide on the location of the splitters and EDFA chassis (if
required).  There will be extra deformatters available for this use.

4.  Timing and clock signals will be provided by the coax and fiber being
permanently installed for this purpose.

5.  This does not cover back-end computers for the prototype correlator
though I would assume we want those located in the new correlator room as
well.  Any thoughts on this?