[evlatests] DTS Modules Addendum

Kerry Shores kshores at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Jan 5 12:37:11 EST 2006

Mike Revnell wrote:

> Here is a summary of the behavior of the latest software and programmable
> logic configurations in the DTS modules. As of today this version is in
> antenna 13 and one IF in antenna 16.
Full list is: 13A (D301)
               13C (D303)
               14A (D301)
               16B (D302)

> There are four control points of interest. I can't remember the exact
> combination of random characters comprising their names but they have
> the following functions:
>
> Turn on/off formatter board power.
> Turn on/off 8 bit digitizer power.
> Reconfigure the formatter FPGAs.
> Reset the 8 bit digitizer.
>
> There are a few monitor points related to timing and clocks that Kerry
> can fill you in on.
Below is a list of all D30X control points, shown if you type >get
d30x.* at the MIB's prompt:

SHELL:\>get d30x.*

<EVLAMessage location='Antenna 114' timestamp='53740.7228357' >
   <device name='D30X'>
     <monitor name='Tic_Status' type='analog' value='0xC' alert='0' />
     <monitor name='Tic_period' type='analog' value='0x196E57' alert='0'>
     <monitor name='8bit_Status' type='analog' value='0xC0' alert='0' />
     <monitor name='8bit_fault' type='analog' value='0x0' alert='0' />
     <monitor name='Form_pwr' type='analog' value='0x1' alert='0' />
     <control name='8bitSwitch' type='digital' value='1' />
     <control name='8bit_supr' type='digital' value='0' />
     <control name='FormSwitch' type='digital' value='1' />
     <control name='FormReset' type='digital' value='0' />
     <control name='PscReset' type='digital' value='0' />
     <control name='8bitReset' type='digital' value='0' />

The 4 commands Mike referred to are,
1.  d30x.formswitch=(0,1)  // Turns on/off the formatter
     Example: >set d30x.formswitch=1     // Will turn formatter on.

2.  d30x.8bitswitch=(0,1)  // Turns on/off the 8bit Digitizer
     Example: >set d30x.8bitswitch=1  // Will turn on 8bit Digitizer.

3.  d30x.formreset=1      // Automatically returns to '0'
     Example: > set d30x.formreset=1  // Will reconfigure formatter FPGAs

4.  d30x.8bitreset=1     // Automatically returns to '0'
     Example: >set d30x.8bitreset=1  // Will reset 8bit Digitizer

The values shown in the above '>get d30x.*' are the proper values
for a happy DTS module.  The only difference might be in the monitor
point 'Tic_Period', which is really just a counter.  The count
displayed should be close (+- 20?) to the displayed value.

> When power is applied to the formatter board or the digitizer board the
> MIB waits 6 seconds and issues a digitizer reset command.
>
> Logic in the formatter monitors data from the digitizer. If it detects
> over-range samples, indicating that logic in the digitizer may not have
> reset properly, it issues a reset command to the digitizer. The logic is
> disabled for 2 seconds to allow things to settle, it then start checking
> again and issues more reset pulses if over range samples are detected.
>
> After 10 consecutive seconds of good data the reset monitoring logic
> is disabled so RFI doesn't trigger it.
>
> If the MIB issues a digitizer reset command the monitoring logic is
> re-enabled.
>
> If RFI is present causing over range on the digitizer input the reset
> logic will never settle out. In this case it will be necessary to
> set the down converter attenuators to get the input in range until the
> reset logic can settle out.
>

> NOTE NOTE NOTE PLEASE NOTE
>
> It is not proposed that this is the final behavior of the module.
>
> This behavior is an interim fix to deal with hardware behavior until
> such time as we can implement the full-up monitor and control functionality
> in the module. At the present time this is down to about item 15 on the
> list of first priorities.
  The monitor and control points currently implemented in the MIB
probably won't change.  Only more Mon/Ctrl points will be added for
the full-up version of things.

--
Kerry Shores
Electrical Engineer