[evlatests] touchy L302s

Jim Jackson jjackson at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Feb 13 10:33:44 EST 2006

Steve and I noticed this behavior in some tests we did on the L302's in the
antennas a few weeks ago - after the symptom was apparent in Rick's long
test over the holiday weekend in January.   We replaced the L302 that was
doing it the most (I think that was L302-1 in Ant 14) but we did notice it
occurring less often in at least two of the other L302's in antennas 14 and
16. Unfortunately, the four L302's that are out in those antennas are the
best of the old style units.  Can anyone tell for sure if the L302's in
antenna 13 are doing the same thing? I'll check them today but it would be
interesting to see if the data shows them doing this.  Antenna 13 has the
newer design that uses the L300 but they still have the same firmware as
the others.

I can repeat the test today using Jared's Labview software to see if it has
gotten any worse. We can exercise them fairly hard with this software and
see graphical results of what is occurring.  Before attempting to isolate
this problem, we are waiting for the new FPGA and MIB firmware that Matt
Luce and Pete Whiteis are working on. It would be a waste of our time to
time to troubleshoot this before having this new firmware.

Jim