[evlatests] Holography Oddity

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 14 16:29:28 EDT 2006

    We ran L-band holography this morning,  with the goal of chasing
down our peculiar L-band sensitivity on frequency.  As usual, other
issues arose ...

    The file attempted to drive the antennas in a 17 x 17 raster, on two
different sources (at different elevations, to check if the stepsize is
indeed adjusting for the elevation).  For each source, three
calibrations were made, to measure system gain and phase.    Two
interesting characteristics emerged from this:

    A)  For the first calibration, which did *not* follow a holographic
scan, the four working EVLA antennas (13, 14, 16, and 18) arrived on
source over 5 minutes after the VLA antennas.  The three all arrived at
slightly different times (differing by a few seconds), so it seems the
issue relates to slew -- perhaps they were all in the wrong wrap, or the
EVLA script got started late.  Fortunately, the first calibration
duration was very long, and good calibrator data were obtained.  There
was one other calibration which did not follow a holographic scan, and
for this one, all data are normal.

    B) All the remaining calibrations took place following a holographic
cut, and for all EVLA antennas, the data show a peculiar effect that
I've never seen before, and which must be due to the script.  All four
EVLA antennas arrive 'on axis' (i.e., on the calibrator) about 2.5
minutes after the VLA antennas.  This is not a slew issue -- the
amplitudes of the data during this 2.5 minutes show the source drifting
through the main beam or sidelobes!
    After some further sleuthing, the cause of this odd behavior becomes
clear.  For this file, I had added about 20 seconds to each of the
holographic scans, figuring that perhaps the EVLA antennas were more
confused than the VLA antennas, and needed the time to catch up.  But
the holography programs are pretty clever -- they pay no attention to
the stop times in the observe file (news to me!), instead, the use any
extra time left at the end of any scan as a 'down payment' for the next
holographic scan, so that if the non-cognizant observer (like me) adds
unnecessary extra time to the scans, the extra time is accumulated, to
be used later.
    And therein lies the resolution of the oddity.  For the VLA, the
extra time accumulated is used for the next non-holography scan -- for
my data, the calibrator.  Instead of the requested 50 seconds of
calibrator data, I got 210 seconds.  However, the EVLA behaves
differently.  For it, the extra time is used to simply 'sit', and wait
for the time actually requested for calibration to arrive.  So,  at the
end of the last holographic scan prior to a calbration, the VLA antennas
promptly headed off to the calibrator (nearly 2 minutes early), while
the EVLA antennas took a (well-needed?) rest.   The holography source
then drifted through the beam or sidelobes for the two minute period.

    It would be useful to adjust the EVLA code to bring it into
synchronism with the VLA.