[evlatests] EVLA, April 6.

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Apr 6 20:11:19 EDT 2006

Jim,

551tstgm.obs is my poln testing.  FYI, I am observering in mode PA to get
high spectral resolution polarimetry, and thus only using IFs A & C.  I'm
therefore insensitive to your tinkering.  I'm also only observing at
L-band, so ant 18 isn't involved.

In any case, looks like the wind is still likely frustrating the
observations....

-George

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Jim Jackson wrote:

> I concur with Rick's assessment.
>
> I just checked the L302-2 synthesizers in Antennas 13 and 14.  The one in
> Antenna 14 was not locking at the frequency it was being set to by the
> currently running script.  I rebooted it's MIB, waited for the script to
> re-command it and it now seems to be locked. For whomever is looking at the
> data from the current script (551tstgm.obs) - it was around 5:30PM local when
> I did this. Hopefully IF's B&D on Antenna 14 improved - assuming the antennas
> aren't stowed for wind. The L302 in Antenna 13 looks fine at the moment.
>
> As for 18C - the only thing I notice at the moment is that the RMS on IF-C is
> running 12-13 which is a little high. At the same time IF-A is 9-10. That
> doesn't seem to be enough difference that it would be totally dead but I
> suppose anything is possible.
>
> Jim
>

> At 04:29 PM 4/6/2006, Rick Perley wrote:
>>    Some of this can be explained easily:
>>
>>    1) Ant 18 has only IFs A and C, so nothing from B or D can be expected.
>>
>>    2) Ant 18 has no LSC converter, so no L or C band data can be expected.
>>
>>    3) Ant 18 has no C band receiver either.
>>    4) The lack of B or D data from antennas 13 or 14 would (I think) be
>> caused by a non-functioning L302-2.  This needs to be looked into.
>>    5) The only remaining mystery is the lack of data from antenna 18C.
>> There should be something here, since good data from 18A was obtained. This
>> needs to be followed up upon.
>>    Unhappily, the winds are still howling up at the site.  We continue to
>> wait ...
>>
>> vdhawan at aoc.nrao.edu wrote:
>>
>>> A bit of data was taken earlier today in line mode, 12.5MHz, to check
>>> delays. Reference pointing was used to mitigate pointing errors.
>>>
>>> L, C, X band data were taken before the wind picked up.
>>>
>>> Basically the delays look OK. However, some IFs produced no data, and
>>> some were sans fringes. Details below.
>>>
>>> Vivek.

>>> G = Good, about the same as VLA.
>>> D = Dead, autocorrelation bandpass but no fringes.