[evlatests] bringing the antennas back

Ken Sowinski ksowinsk at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Dec 7 22:36:50 EST 2005

I was at the VLA today to take care of Modcomp problems.  By noon
that was done and both 14 and 16 were available again after several
days over which several modules were updated and placed in service
again.  My understanding is that the changes were mostly to the LO
reference distribution modules, both in the control building and
the antennas.

The ACU MIB in antenna 16 needed to be reset again.  Antenna 16 came
up quickly, delay changes were needed because of the DTS module resets,
and all bands but Q band worked and looked normal.

Antenna 14 had more problems.  IF A was unusable, perhaps, because I
was unable to send commands to it to set a reasonable Gain parameter.
There were two reasons: first, the slot ID mechanism was not working
so executor commands did not get to it, second the version of the
device browser I was using did not send commands due to a bug.  The
version I customarily use did not seem to want to work at all.  IF D
was unusable because the DTS module was not working and the MIB in it
did not respond.  IFs B and C worked, but the amplitude response was
lower than I expect.  Setting delays, and resetting the DTS modules
(once each) did not help at all.  The noise tubes were not firing and
the T_sys correction had to be disabled to get any usable correlated
data.  Bob wrote this evening about the reason for that.

Delays were set for all bands on 16 and some progress was made on
14 until an executor bug triggered by the contents of the parameter
DB stopped me.  That seemed a good time to give up and come back to
town.

The test time tonight will be devoted to a general test of behavior
and beam cuts.

The next SW test slot is Friday afternoon.  We should:
Try to get all IFs working,
Be sure that antenna 14 is up to par.
Try to make the aliased signal seen at C band go away by retuning the LOs,
Be sure that the code inserted to deal with the K term does not break
everything.

If there is time try to find Q band at antenna 16.  We might need to do
a raster on something bright to see where the beam is.

If antenna 13 is declared to be usable and there is time left, try it.
I think all the needed parameters in the data base are correct.