[daip] [!10729]: AIPS - rsync problem for linus binary installation 31DEC17

Eric Greisen nraohelp at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 25 11:03:37 EDT 2017

Eric Greisen updated #10729
---------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)
                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 27 July 2017 02:30 PM)

rsync problem for linus binary installation 31DEC17

           Ticket ID: 10729
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 25 July 2017 02:30 PM
             Updated: 25 July 2017 03:03 PM
      Resolution Due: 02 August 2017 02:30 PM (7d 23h 26m)

I usually suggest that users try to get their system managers to
remove the block of rsync at least for our address.  But your
address is navy.mil so I doubt that anything of the sort will
be available to you.  One government user takes a computer home
and does the install and MNJ there and takes it back to work
but that user's address is not .mil so I suspect that you should
not try that.

My personal copy of AIPS is actually compiled with gfortran 5.4.0
and works very well indeed.  The gfortran 4.x had an odd bug with
our pseudo-AP code forcing the use of a fixed size "AP".  By
accident, I found that the 5.x versions do not require the fixed
size - allowing the dynamic AP which is to be preferred.  We now
have gfortran 6.3 and even 7.1.  I guess I should try at least the 6.3.

The install.pl procedure pauses to let you edit the compile scripts
FDEFAULT.SH, LDOPTS.SH and CCOPTS.SH.  At that time, change them
from Intel compilers to whatever compiler you try.  Let me know if
you have any trouble.  The whole thing should not take too long.