[daip] [!9863]: AIPS - TDEM0023 data in AIPS

John Cannon nraohelp at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 14 15:49:24 EST 2017

John Cannon updated #9863
-------------------------

TDEM0023 data in AIPS
---------------------

           Ticket ID: 9863
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 13 February 2017 03:33 PM
             Updated: 14 February 2017 08:49 PM
      Resolution Due: 22 February 2017 03:34 PM (7d 18h 44m)

Hi Lorant,

Thanks for the response.  I went ahead and used DBCON to combine the two UVFITS files yesterday,  and this worked well; a preliminary reduction was successful and the target galaxy is detected at high significance and is well separated from MW HI gas in velocity space (based on the GBT spectrum I was somewhat worried about this).

While we are chatting I wanted to run a possible issue by you that I have not seen before.  I chose the calibrator J1748+7005 for phase calibration.  It turns out that NGC6503 (a nearby spiral with S_HI > 100 Jy km/s) is only a few arcmin from J1748+7005; its line emission is detected strongly in the phase cal field.  I suspect that the easiest way to handle this is to simply exclude those channels with line emission from NGC6503 from the calibration steps, but I worry if this will require using a self-calibration (after all the assumption of a point source is not at all true for the channels with the line emission).  Any reactions?

Thanks,
John