[daip] installing local tasks in AIPS

Rick White rlw at stsci.edu
Mon Jul 6 17:46:04 EDT 2015

Hi Eric,
After a lot of floundering around, I've given up on getting a compatible version of the Intel compiler installed.  In case it is helpful to you or someone else, I include below a list of some of the things I tried.

So if possible, I'd appreciate it if you can try to build these for me.  I'm not optimistic that this will go smoothly because it has been a few years since we've been able to compile these, and changes in the AIPS subroutine interfaces or common blocks could break them.  But I guess it is worth a try to see how it works.  The logic in these changes very rarely -- the most recent change in any of the code was more than 3 years ago.

I've attached a gzipped tar file that unpacks into a directory named 'bob' with two subdirectories ("other" and "happy").  If you go into the bob/ directory, there is a 1aareadme.txt file with simple instructions.  If a miracle occurs and everything works, you would just do this:

source <aips-location>/LOGIN.CSH
make

That builds a library and about a dozen executables.  If some of them fail, it would still be helpful if only 'make happy' succeeded -- that's what we use most heavily.
Thanks,
Rick

Things I tried to get a compiler working on our system (a brand new Mac Pro running OS X Yosemite 10.10.2):

- I installed the current version of the Intel compiler (15.0.3).  The installation was successful, but I was unable to build a program that could be linked with the AIPS libraries.

- I located a version of the Intel compiler (9.1.041) that I believe is a reasonable match to the version used in the AIPS binaries.  However, I never managed to get it to install.  The initial barrier was that it requires an old version of Java for the installation process.  After some digging, I found that and installed it.  But then the installer just starts up with a blank window and there is no way to proceed.  I also tried running the installer on a Mac running a much older version of OSX (10.6.8 instead of the current 10.10), and that started up with exactly the same blank window.

- I tried digging down inside the installer and found the various executables and libraries.  I could install those by hand, but there was no way to get a license going through that approach. So I gave up on Intel at that point.  I suppose I could have asked Intel for help, but I figured they would not be that enthusiastic about helping on an installation using a trial license of a 8-year-old compiler (version 10.0 was released in June 2007 according to Wikipedia).

- I also tried both the current gnu gfortran and the old g77 compiler, just to see if either of them worked.  Not surprisingly, they didn't.