[daip] installing local tasks in AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 1 18:51:14 EDT 2015

On 07/01/2015 04:18 PM, Rick White wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> We have a small number of custom tasks that we build within AIPS for some of our survey work.  These are all Fortran programs that build using the standard AIPS build commands (FC, LINK, etc) and link to the usual array of libraries.
>
> I've been trying to figure out how to get these built on Bob's new Mac Pro system.  He has the 31DEC15 version of AIPS, installed from binary (and maybe he is running the midnight job, I'm not certain about that).  The problem is that we don't have a matching Fortran compiler.  I tried installing the current version of the Intel ifort compiler, which appears to be what was used to build the binaries, but so far have failed pretty miserably in my attempts to get it to work.  I've hacked away at the options and have even looked at trying to install an old version of ifort, but nothing has really come close to succeeding so far.
>
> I wonder whether you know of other people who have built additional AIPS tasks within the binary installations, and whether you have any advice about how to do it.  I'm hoping not to have to build a complete installation of AIPS from source just to add a dozen extra tasks.  I've wondered whether it would be possible to simply get access to whichever machines are used in Charlottesville for the few minutes it would take to do the builds.
>
> Anyway, any advice?
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Access to our local machines is very difficult to arrange (lots of
security concerns).

I am surprised by the problems with intel ifort but we use a rather
older version here so it could be like the latest gfortran which do not
compile the Q routines correctly when optimized.  What version did you
try?  We may have to upgrade our setup soon.

An alternative is to send me the code and I will build binaries and
place them on my public ftp site.  That works if they are debugged and
do not need frequent changing.