[daip] Remote tape writing

Poonam Chandra poonam at ncra.tifr.res.in
Wed Jan 15 06:24:17 EST 2014

Hi Eric,

kanya did not have aips. I have asked our system admin to install aips
on kanya.
This means AIPS will be separately installed in each.
I am told that cross-mounting is not possible.
I will let you know after AIPS is installed on kanya.

Thanks much,
Poonam

On Tuesday 14 January 2014 09:07 PM, Eric Greisen wrote:
> Poonam Chandra wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to backup AIPS data sitting on my machine. I am Dell LTO
>> Ultrium 5 Data Cartridge.
>> My machine sasha does not have a tape drive. Another machine kanya
>> has a tape drive. How can I remote mount the tape and write data
>> directly from my machine sasha to the tape in kanya? I think I may
>> have to make some changes in the aips installation directory, to add
>> tape hosts. What changes do I need to make?
>
> Do sasha and kanya share a single AIPS installation or is AIPS
> installed separately on each?
>
> Does kanya have the tape allowed in its AIPS?  Thus a line like the
> following in the $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/TPDEVS.LIST file:
>
> PUBLIC-A   /dev/nst0         Exabyte 8500 (dual density)
> PUBLIC-A   /dev/nst1         DAT
>
> When you start AIPS on kanya do multiple TPMON tasks start up?
>
> Can kanya cross-mount your data disk on sasha?  In which case you
> could set up a .dadevs file in your home area and run directly on
> kanya to write your file.  That would be faster and safer.
>
> Eric Greisen

Poonam Chandra                          Phone: +91 20 2571 9290
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research  Email: poonam at ncra.tifr.res.in
National Center for Radio Astrophysics  Home: ncra.tifr.res.in/~poonam
Post Bag 3, Pune University campus
Ganeshkhind, Pune 411 008, INDIA