[daip] Remote tape writing

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 14 10:37:28 EST 2014

Poonam Chandra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to backup AIPS data sitting on my machine. I am Dell LTO Ultrium
> 5 Data Cartridge.
> My machine sasha does not have a tape drive. Another machine kanya has a
> tape drive. How can I remote mount the tape and write data directly from
> my machine sasha to the tape in kanya? I think I may have to make some
> changes in the aips installation directory, to add tape hosts. What
> changes do I need to make?

Do sasha and kanya share a single AIPS installation or is AIPS installed
separately on each?

Does kanya have the tape allowed in its AIPS?  Thus a line like the
following in the $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/TPDEVS.LIST file:

PUBLIC-A   /dev/nst0         Exabyte 8500 (dual density)
PUBLIC-A   /dev/nst1         DAT

When you start AIPS on kanya do multiple TPMON tasks start up?

Can kanya cross-mount your data disk on sasha?  In which case you could
set up a .dadevs file in your home area and run directly on kanya to
write your file.  That would be faster and safer.