[daip] New Staff Reply - [!AVV-770206]: setting up aips to use multiple CPU cores

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 19 14:55:01 EDT 2013

New Staff Reply: setting up aips to use multiple CPU cores

It would be nice if AIPS could do this, but it takes rather
special code to make use of multiple cores well.  The OBIT
package (bcotton at nrao.edu) has such capability but that
has been written recently and only applies to certain tasks
and does not play well with Macs.

AIPS is an old package, written on very old architectures in
a way that rarely lends itself to multi-threading.  Even CASA
which is rather more modern achieves parallel operations in
clusters but does not multi-thread all that much.  Usually
users simply run multiple AIPS tasks at the same time to achieve
some parallel operation.  You have enough memory to support reading
multiple data files and working simultaneously an several things.
But your disk performance may also be a limitation.

I am afraid that we cannot help in this way.

Eric Greisen

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: AVV-770206
Department: AIPS Data Processing