[daip] New Ticket - [!LTT-971236]: velocity conversion

Lynn D Matthews do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 3 14:39:27 EDT 2013

New Ticket: velocity conversion

I have a question about conversion of EVLA data from frequency to velocity via SETJY. I seem to be getting a result that is off by the width of one channel.

I set up my observation so the band center was specified as:
"velocity 7.3km/s LSR_KINEMATIC RADIO"

As I understand it, if there are 8 IFs, this velocity should be assigned to the first spectral channel of IF5. The original SU table lists for the source LSR velocity
7300.00000  m/s and Rest Freq. 1420405752.0 Hz for all IFs, and the header gives pixel 1.0 as the FREQ reference pixel.

If I then run SETJY on my multi-source data with OPTYPE ='VCAL',  VELTYP ='LSR', VELDEF='RADIO' it reports:

IF =  5 velocity =       6.96 (km/sec calcd)

This is off from the specified observing velocity by approximately the width of one channel (1.95 kHz=0.41 km/s). Am I making a mistake or some flawed assumption here?

Thanks,
Lynn Matthews

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: LTT-971236