[daip] questions about rflag and flag tables

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 24 16:13:34 EDT 2012

Susan Neff wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I have a question about RFLAG and flag tables.
>
> What I am doing is as follows:
> The first time I run RFLAG, I give it
> flagver = xx, outfgver = 0,
> so it will create a new flag table by
> copying flagver xx and then adding to it.
> I run rflag on a subset of sources,
> creating new flag table yy.
> Then I try running rflag again on
> different sources, using flagver = xx
> and outfgver = yy.
>
> What happens to the flags created in the
> run on the second source??
>
> I'm asking because it seems that the flags
> produced for the second source are not making
> it into the flag table.  The output plots
> I get by running with doplot = -12 look
> like it got the flags, and the noise
> and scut returned adverbs look like
> they got the flags.  However, if I try to
> run another round of rflag, on the second
> source, using flagtable yy,  I get
> the same starting noise and scut values
> as I had in the first run on the second
> source... not lower values as I would expect.
> (A second run on the first source behaves
> as I expect - i.e. the second run returns
> much lower values for noise(i) and scut(i).
>
> I'm wondering if the flags for the
> second sources are not
> actually making it into the output
> flag table ( if it is specified, as opposed
> to being set to zero and therefore
> creating a new table).  I had
> thought they would be added into
> the flag table created with the first source, but
> now I'm wondering if I have misinterpreted
> what is happening.
>
> Do I always need to create a new flag
> table to capture the the newly created
> flags?  And if I create a new flag table,
> using only some of the sources, does
> it carry along the flags for all sources?

I am back and will look at this for you.  Waht I do know is that when
you run with DOPLOT=-12, the program uses the flag table that it just
wrote.  So if the plots at that point look good, then that flag table
must contain the new flags.  The task cannot use FLAGVER=xxx,
OUTFGVER=xxx since we cannot add to an FG table that we are reading.  In
that case it writes a new one but should then fix it at the end.  I will
try things and see what happens.

Eric