[daip] questions about rflag and flag tables

Susan Neff Susan.G.Neff at nasa.gov
Tue Jul 24 16:46:02 EDT 2012

On 7/24/12 4:13 PM, Eric Greisen wrote:
> Susan Neff wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> I have a question about RFLAG and flag tables.
>>
>> What I am doing is as follows:
>> The first time I run RFLAG, I give it
>> flagver = xx, outfgver = 0,
>> so it will create a new flag table by
>> copying flagver xx and then adding to it.
>> I run rflag on a subset of sources,
>> creating new flag table yy.
>> Then I try running rflag again on
>> different sources, using flagver = xx
>> and outfgver = yy.
>>
>> What happens to the flags created in the
>> run on the second source??
>>
>> I'm asking because it seems that the flags
>> produced for the second source are not making
>> it into the flag table.  The output plots
>> I get by running with doplot = -12 look
>> like it got the flags, and the noise
>> and scut returned adverbs look like
>> they got the flags.  However, if I try to
>> run another round of rflag, on the second
>> source, using flagtable yy,  I get
>> the same starting noise and scut values
>> as I had in the first run on the second
>> source... not lower values as I would expect.
>> (A second run on the first source behaves
>> as I expect - i.e. the second run returns
>> much lower values for noise(i) and scut(i).
>>
>> I'm wondering if the flags for the
>> second sources are not
>> actually making it into the output
>> flag table ( if it is specified, as opposed
>> to being set to zero and therefore
>> creating a new table).  I had
>> thought they would be added into
>> the flag table created with the first source, but
>> now I'm wondering if I have misinterpreted
>> what is happening.
>>
>> Do I always need to create a new flag
>> table to capture the the newly created
>> flags?  And if I create a new flag table,
>> using only some of the sources, does
>> it carry along the flags for all sources?
> I am back and will look at this for you.  Waht I do know is that when
> you run with DOPLOT=-12, the program uses the flag table that it just
> wrote.  So if the plots at that point look good, then that flag table
> must contain the new flags.  The task cannot use FLAGVER=xxx,
> OUTFGVER=xxx since we cannot add to an FG table that we are reading.  In
> that case it writes a new one but should then fix it at the end.  I will
> try things and see what happens.
>
> Eric
Hi Eric,

Welcome back and thank you.  I've been moving ahead by
just writing a new flag table each time, as Amy suggested.
That works fine.   After a few runs, I run UVCOP and apply
the flags, so I don't build up huge flag tables.
(Given my
highly interrupted schedule here, it isn't that big a hit
on my time, as long as I can start a UVCOP before going
off to whatever meeting has suddenly materialized).

So my question is, if I run with flagver = xxx, and
outfgver = 0
(which creates flagversion xxx+ 1), can I then change my
inputs (source, noise values, whatever), run rflag again
using flagver= xxx and outfgver=xxx+1 and get both
sets of flags combined in the flagtable xxx+1 ?

Thanks so much,
-s-