[daip] AIPS running problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 18 11:56:17 EDT 2012

abhik ghosh wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>                 We have compiled the 31DEC'11 AIPS in our REDHAT 6
> machine (currently, we cann't access the binary version because of some
> firewall issue of our institute) and we access this machine through SSH.
> It seems that it fully compiled in our machine.
>
>                 But, when we run AIPS with source LOGIN.SH and aips
> TV=local:2 then we are facing the following problem.
> It seems there is a loading problem. I have highlighted few lines of the
> errors.
>
> [aips at parangam AIPS]$ aips TV=local:2
> START_AIPS: Will use Unix Socket based TV number 2
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
> DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>: This program is untested under Perl
> version 5.010
>   (Using global default file /home/aips/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
> DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /home/aips/AIPS/DATA/PARANGAM_1
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on parangam asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on PARANGAM asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC11 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC11) at priority =   0
> *ZSTRT1: ZACTV8: TASK AIPS   DOES NOT EXIST IN
> ZSTRT1: ZACTV8: VERSION = /home/aips/AIPS/31DEC11/LNX64/LOAD
> ZSTRT1: ZSTRTA: ACTIVATION ERROR =      1*
>

> [aips at parangam AIPS]$ DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>: This program is
> untested under Perl version 5.010
> UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV2 on parangam
> TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
> UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS2 on parangam, DISPLAY localhost:11.0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: Cannot use shared memory on remote XAS link
> Host name is PARANGAM, display shows it at LOCALHOST
> XAS: !!! Shared memory not selected !!!
> XAS: Using screen width 1356 height 668,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
> UNIXSERVERS: TKSRV2 is already running on host parangam, display
> localhost:13.0, user abhik
> UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV2 on parangam, display localhost:11.0

Please use daip at nrao.edu - I may be on vacation and another person may
be able to help you.  Mail addressed to me must wait until I return.

I suspect that there is a problem in the $AIPS_ROOT/HOSTS.LIST or the
LOGIN.SH and LOGIN.CSH files.  It seems that the installation expects
LAPTOP to be YES and it is NO.  The HOSTS.LIST file needs to have host
LOCALHOST with architecture LNX64 (if that is the version you
constructed) and can have PARANGAM as well.  After you source LOGIN.CSH
(or . LOGIN.SH for bash), do
echo $HOST $SITE $ARCH
and see if they match what you expect.

Does the file
/home/aips/AIPS/31DEC11/LNX64/LOAD/AIPS.EXE
exist?   Are there other files in
/home/aips/AIPS/31DEC11/LNX64/LOAD

If you compiled as LINUX then the "architecture" of PARANGAM is wrong in
HOSTS.LIST.  If there are lots of files in the above LOAD directory, one
needs to find out why AIPS.EXE is not there.  Try
    COMLNK $AIPPGM/AIPS.FOR