[daip] aips not starting

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 17 16:40:16 EST 2011

Heesen, Volker wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have tried to use an old aips installation. aips starts but there is a problem with the data areas. I am also not sure which user id I have used for the data disks. Below I post the error message I get when I start aips. Any help would be very welcome!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Volker
>
> --
>
> uhppc4.herts.ac.uk> aips
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the (no description supplied by installer)
> START_AIPS:  - system name lj4, AIPS type PS
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
>   (Using global default file /local1/home/vheesen/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /local1/home/vheesen/data/UHPPC4_1
>    Disk 2 (2) is /local1/home/vheesen/data/UHPPC4_2
>    Disk 3 (3) is /local1/home/vheesen/data/UHPPC4_3
>    Disk 4 (4) is /local1/home/vheesen/data/UHPPC4_4
>    Disk 5 (5) is /local1/home/vheesen/data/UHPPC4_5
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called uhppc4
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on uhppc4 asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on UHPPC4 asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC08 AIPS with normal priority
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
>  ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
>  ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC08) at priority =   0
> XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host uhppc4, user vheesen
> XASERVERS: XAS is already running on host uhppc4, display :0, user vheesen
> AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000;          NOT FOUND
>  ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
>  ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?XASERVERS: TEKSRV is already running on host uhppc4, display :0, user vheesen
> XASERVERS: MSGSRV is already running on host uhppc4, display :0, user vheesen
>
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?612
> AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:PWD000000;          NOT FOUND
> uhppc4.herts.ac.uk>

It would appear that your installation is rather old and is missing
essential parts.  These SP and PW etc files are required control files
that are usually located in a directory named $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/<hostname>
or $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/UHPPC4 in your case.  Check that the directory is
there and that you have rw privilege on the directory and any files in
it.  If there are no files, do the following
         cd $AIPS_ROOT
         source LOGIN.CSH     (or . LOGIN.SH for bash shells)
         $CDTST
         RUN FILAIP
         8 2
         RUN POPSGN
         0 POPSDAT TST
         <cr>
and then try again.  Actually neither of these will hurt even if there
are files there.  As for user numbers, pick any number and run the task
       DISKU      with adverb USERID=32000
and it will tell which numbers are using disk.  Do a restart and enter
those numbers one after the other to see what is there.