[daip] AIPS TV depth problem on MacBook Pro

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Feb 9 17:42:17 EST 2011

Michele Pestalozzi wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> I have performed a binary installation of AIPS on my MacBook Pro (that
> is supposed to be the ultimate machine... not seen much of it yet... ;)
> ), and I seem to have problems with my AIPS TV. I have to say that I
> already had a working version of AIPS on it, I just tried to re-install
> the entire thing (going from 31DEC09 to 31DEC11) because strangely since
> a couple of weeks back the AIPS TV stopped working (it is not there and
> "tvin" complains, see below). It now complains "No TrueColor found",
> that to my knowledge should be related to the display depth... but how
> on earth did this depth change? And, most of it, how do I change it back
> to  something AIPS likes? I even tried to give the "xdpyinfo | more"
> command, but I cannot see any "16" in it (I attach the outcome of the
> command as a txt file).
> Below I attach the messages I get at AIPS startup as well as after
> giving the "tvin" command (to check whether a TV is up at all).
>
> Do you know how to come around this nuisance...?
>
> Thank you very much for your support.
>
> Michele Pestalozzi
>
> Michele-Pestalozzis-MacBook-Pro:~ Michele$
> Michele-Pestalozzis-MacBook-Pro:~ Michele$ aips tst
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
> DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>: This program is untested under Perl
> version 5.010
>   (Using global default file /Users/Michele/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
> DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /Users/Michele/aips/DATA/AIPSDATA_1
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC11 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC11) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>: This program is untested under Perl
> version 5.010
> XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host localhost, user Michele
> XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-AwFc77/:0
> XAS: ***********************************
> XAS: **  No TrueColor found
> XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
> XAS: ***********************************
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1270 height 678,
>      max grey level 196 in 16 grey-scale memories
> Shared memory id failure: Cannot allocate memory
> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY
> /tmp/launch-AwFc77/:0
> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY
> [...]

Did you upgrade your operating system?

There are instructions on the AIPS Manager FAQ page about the shared
memory ID failure.  They are
  On the latest "leopard" systems, /etc/rc is gone and creating it will
have no effect. You need to create an /etc/sysctl.conf file and put the
values in it,

             kern.sysv.shmmax=10485760
             kern.sysv.shmmin=1
             kern.sysv.shmmni=32
             kern.sysv.shmseg=8
             kern.sysv.shmall=4096

The xdpyinfo | more commands should show 24-bit or 32-bit visuals.  AIPS
cannot use a 16-bit one but can (sort of) use an 8-bit visual.  That has
not been tested much of late!  Perhaps our Mac expert can offer
suggestions on this point.