[daip] AIPS TV depth problem on MacBook Pro

Michele Pestalozzi michele.pestalozzi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 16:17:14 EST 2011

Dear Eric,

I have performed a binary installation of AIPS on my MacBook Pro (that is
supposed to be the ultimate machine... not seen much of it yet... ;) ), and
I seem to have problems with my AIPS TV. I have to say that I already had a
working version of AIPS on it, I just tried to re-install the entire thing
(going from 31DEC09 to 31DEC11) because strangely since a couple of weeks
back the AIPS TV stopped working (it is not there and "tvin" complains, see
below). It now complains "No TrueColor found", that to my knowledge should
be related to the display depth... but how on earth did this depth change?
And, most of it, how do I change it back to  something AIPS likes? I even
tried to give the "xdpyinfo | more" command, but I cannot see any "16" in it
(I attach the outcome of the command as a txt file).
Below I attach the messages I get at AIPS startup as well as after giving
the "tvin" command (to check whether a TV is up at all).

Do you know how to come around this nuisance...?

Thank you very much for your support.

Michele Pestalozzi

Michele-Pestalozzis-MacBook-Pro:~ Michele$
Michele-Pestalozzis-MacBook-Pro:~ Michele$ aips tst
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
  (Using global default file /Users/Michele/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /Users/Michele/aips/DATA/AIPSDATA_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC11 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC11) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host localhost, user Michele
XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-AwFc77/:0
XAS: ***********************************
XAS: **  No TrueColor found
XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
XAS: ***********************************
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1270 height 678,
     max grey level 196 in 16 grey-scale memories
Shared memory id failure: Cannot allocate memory
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-AwFc77/:0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-AwFc77/:0

AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?2373
AIPS 1:                          31DEC11 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2010 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit
>tvin
AIPS 1: ZSSSO2 connect (INET) Connection refused
AIPS 1: ZSSSOP: CHANNEL ASSIGN ERROR FOR LUN    9
AIPS 1: YTVOPN: TV OPEN ERROR      6
AIPS 1: TV OPEN ERROR      6

--
Michele Pestalozzi, PhD