[daip] New Staff Reply - [!IFJ-573319]: UVPLT1: XYSCAL: AXIS 2 DEGENERATE

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 25 10:08:34 EDT 2010

New Staff Reply: UVPLT1: XYSCAL: AXIS 2 DEGENERATE

An interesting plot indeed.  There has to have been a great deal of averaging
in the data being plotted.  Weights that are pure integer are presumably the
sum over channels and/or times and there must have been enough of these to
get all possible values from 1 to 40 at every time.  How you achieved that
I have no idea - flagging, time averaging, etc.???

Anyway, weights from the EVLA are integer 1.0 times the averaging time in
seconds and the frequency averaging interval in channels.  With no averaging
this is degenerate and is of no interest to plot.  REWAY and now TYAPL are
able to make something like real weights on the data but I would not start
with data which are so heavily averaged.  Note that TYAPL is only useful on
data taken very recently and loaded into AIPS with the assistance of the
obit package.  I will treat this ticket as closed.

Eric Greisen

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: IFJ-573319
Department: AIPS Data Processing