[daip] Moving data to another computer

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 8 13:36:05 EST 2010

Andy Biggs wrote:
> Dear daip. When one moves data from an AIPS data area on one computer
> into an AIPS data area on another computer, does one have to move every
> single file? I assumed that you could send just a subset (the maps from
> a particular user number, not the UV data) but I'm not able to see the
> files when I start AIPS on the second machine - I've 'RUN RECAT' but no
> joy. The byte orders of the two machines are also the same.
>
> Also, do the data have to reside in the same disk number? The data were
> originally on disk 2 and I initially copied them to disk 1 on the second
> computer. I then tried disk 2 on this as well and again no joy.

One does not need to copy everything, but one has to know what to leave
out.  Each MA file must have its header (CB) and should have other
things (HI at least).  The CA file would be useful although RECAT
(outside aips) will rebuild that from the CB files.  If you want some of
the UV data then their FB, FQ, AN tables are essential and others such
as HI are useful.

ERic Greisen