[daip] SNEDT bug

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Dec 3 16:51:17 EST 2010

Adam Deller wrote:
> Hi daip,
>
> It seems there is a bug that has been introduced into SNEDT sometime in
> the last couple of months.  If I open an SN table to edit it, page
> through some antennas and change what is being displayed (i.e. put up
> delay and rate, for example) and then exit without making an edit, SNEDT
> crashes complaining about a row ****.  See output below.
>
> localh> SNEDT1: Task SNEDT  (release of 31DEC10) begins
> localh> SNEDT1: Doing no flagging this time
> localh> SNEDT1: Copied SN file from vol/cno/vers  125148   3 to  125148   5
> localh> SNEDT1: Allocate        22799 words at          89068349
> localh> SNEDT1: All data will reside in memory
> localh> SNEDT1: Found     6 times, stored on a time axis of length    16
> localh> SNEDT1: Applying FG table to the data
> localh> SNEDT1: Plotting:
> localh> SNEDT1: Press buttons A, B, or C to choose an operation
> localh> SNEDT1: Press button D for on-line help
> localh> SNEDT1: Plotting:
> localh> SNEDT1: Press buttons A, B, or C to choose an operation
> localh> SNEDT1: Press button D for on-line help
> localh> SNEDT1: Plotting:
> localh> SNEDT1: Press buttons A, B, or C to choose an operation
> localh> SNEDT1: Press button D for on-line help
> localh> SNEDT1: Plotting:
> localh> SNEDT1: Press buttons A, B, or C to choose an operation
> localh> SNEDT1: Press button D for on-line help
> localh> SNEDT1: Plotting:
> localh> SNEDT1: Press buttons A, B, or C to choose an operation
> localh> SNEDT1: Press button D for on-line help
> localh> SNEDT1: Computing difference data, then plotting
> localh> SNEDT1: Press buttons A, B, or C to choose an operation
> localh> SNEDT1: Press button D for on-line help
> localh> SNEDT1: No data changes to write back to disk
> localh> SNEDT1: REQUESTED ROW **** EXCEEDS MAX OF   57
> localh> SNEDT1: ERROR FOR TABLE OBJECT: Output SN/CL/TY/SY table to be e
> localh> SNEDT1: EDGTSN: ERROR READING REC    2 ROW****** COL WEIGHT 1
> localh> SNEDT1: EDITSN: ERROR WITH OBJECT Output SN/CL/TY/SY table to be e
> localh> SNEDT1: ERROR EDITING Output SN/CL/TY/SY table to be e
> localh> SNEDT1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
> localh> SNEDT1: marathon 31DEC10 TST: Cpu=      2.9  Real=     17
> IO=        2
>
> This is running 31DEC10 which is MNJ'd every night.  I don't have any
> other versions to test, but I had not seen this bug before a month or
> two ago.  Initially I thought it was related to some external software I
> was using, but now I've seen I can reproduce the bug in AIPS directly
> (change displayed quantity, change antennas, exit without any edits).

I cannot make it do this.  It is clear that it rereads the table at the
end but your messages suggest that the info in core is messed up before
that happens and I cannot get it to do that with any of the trials
I did.  Is there some way you could do a TASAV and make a FITS file
which I could read from somewhere?  There aren't a lot of adverbs but it
might help to know what they were also.

Eric