[daip] FRING memory requirements

Ingyin Zaw iz6 at cosmo.nyu.edu
Tue May 12 18:01:55 EDT 2009

> Ingyin Zaw wrote:

>> >  You have asked for an FFT on the frequency axis of length 131072 or
>> >  perhaps it is 524288 - I do not know the details enough to be sure.
>> >  AIPS now does FFTs up to 32768 and we have no plans to allow larger in
>> >  the near term.  I will repair the error message which now is only about
>> >  allowed size of FFTs (it used to mean what it says) and repair the limit
>> >  in FRING which is currently lower than it has to be.  But that will not
>> >  allow you to do what you are trying to do.  There are aips memos which
>> >  describe what you should do to accomplish what you need to accomplish.
>>  I tried to reproduce the 131072 number and come up short. I have an
>>  experiment (BK114A, 256 channels, 8 IFs) with 500 MHz total bandwidth with
>> ~  60 kHz channels which would seem, at most, to have a frequency axis of
>>  length 16384. Even for 512 channels and 8 IFs, I get a frequency axis of
>>  length 32768, which is within AIPS capabilities. Could you point out where
>>  my calculations are different from yours.
>>
>> >  See the aips web page:
>> >    http://www.aips.nrao.edu/
>> >  and read AIPS Memo 110.
>> >
>> >  You will need to run FRING an IF at a time effectively and then solve
>> >  for multi-band delay with MBDLY.
>>  Thanks for pointing me to the memo. It says that FRING with aparm(5)=2 is
>>  better than aparm(5)=0 + MBDLY when sources are weaker. We observe at 22
>>  GHz and our calibrators are relatively weaker, so we'd like the option of
>>  running with aparm(5)=2, if possible.
>>
>> >  Eric Greisen
>> >
>>  Thanks,
>>  Ingyin

> Hi Ingyin,
>
> I am coming into this late so I apologize if don't understand something.  How
> weak are your calibrators?  If your calibrators are weak wouldn't it be
> better to average some channels?  Why do you need 512 channels anyway? The
> multiband delay is looking at the delay between the IFs, the singleband delay
> is not calculated.
>
> Amy
Hi Amy,

I'm observing H20 masers at 22 GHz. I have so many channels (256 in the
current dataset) because the maser lines are only ~1 km/s wide. I did
average 8 channels using AVSPC but was getting ringing when I applied a BP
table. That problem seems to be resolved now so I can run FRING with
aparm(5)=2 on the averaged file (with 32 channels).

Thanks,
Ingyin