[daip] FRING memory requirements

Amy Mioduszewski amiodusz at nrao.edu
Tue May 12 17:30:44 EDT 2009

Ingyin Zaw wrote:
> On Thu, 7 May 2009, Eric Greisen wrote:
>
>> Ingyin Zaw wrote:
>>>  Hello,
>>>
>>>  I checked setapmax. It was set to 528 Mbytes. I changed it to the maximum
>>>  allowed:
>>>  AIPS 1: SETMAXAP: current max dynamic AP is  6144.000 Mbytes
>>>  AIPS 1: SETMAXAP: allowed range is  20 to  6144 Mbytes
>>>
>>>  I still get the same memory error as below.
>>>
>>>  The fring parameters I've set (which are not defaults) are:
>>>  calsour '2145+067'
>>>  refant 6
>>>  solint 0
>>>  aparm 3 0 0 0 2 0
>>>  dparm 3 1 1 4.1 0
>>>
>>>  (docalib -1; flagver 0; doband -1).
>>>
>>>  Thanks,

>> You have asked for an FFT on the frequency axis of length 131072 or perhaps
>> it is 524288 - I do not know the details enough to be sure.
>> AIPS now does FFTs up to 32768 and we have no plans to allow larger in the
>> near term.  I will repair the error message which now is only about allowed
>> size of FFTs (it used to mean what it says) and repair the limit in FRING
>> which is currently lower than it has to be.  But that will not allow you to
>> do what you are trying to do.  There are aips memos which describe what you
>> should do to accomplish what you need to accomplish.
> I tried to reproduce the 131072 number and come up short. I have an
> experiment (BK114A, 256 channels, 8 IFs) with 500 MHz total bandwidth with
> ~ 60 kHz channels which would seem, at most, to have a frequency axis of
> length 16384. Even for 512 channels and 8 IFs, I get a frequency axis of
> length 32768, which is within AIPS capabilities. Could you point out where
> my calculations are different from yours.
>
>> See the aips web page:
>>   http://www.aips.nrao.edu/
>> and read AIPS Memo 110.
>>
>> You will need to run FRING an IF at a time effectively and then solve for
>> multi-band delay with MBDLY.
> Thanks for pointing me to the memo. It says that FRING with aparm(5)=2 is
> better than aparm(5)=0 + MBDLY when sources are weaker. We observe at 22
> GHz and our calibrators are relatively weaker, so we'd like the option of
> running with aparm(5)=2, if possible.
>
>> Eric Greisen
>>
> Thanks,
> Ingyin

Hi Ingyin,

I am coming into this late so I apologize if don't understand something.  How
weak are your calibrators?  If your calibrators are weak wouldn't it be better
to average some channels?  Why do you need 512 channels anyway? The multiband
delay is looking at the delay between the IFs, the singleband delay is not
calculated.

Amy