[daip] AIPS Installation problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 19 12:37:22 EST 2009

viral parekh wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu
> <mailto:egreisen at nrao.edu>> wrote:
>
>     viral parekh wrote:
>
>     Debugging this at a distance is really hard...
>

>         viral at viral-laptop:~/aips1$ echo $ARCH
>         LINUX
>         viral at viral-laptop:~/aips1$ echo $LAPTOP
>         NO
>         viral at viral-laptop:~/aips1$ echo $SITE
>         VIRAL-LAPTOP
>         viral at viral-laptop:~/aips1$ echo $HOST
>         VIRAL-LAPTOP
>         viral at viral-laptop:~/aips1$ more HOSTS.LIST
>
>         +  VIRAL-LAPTOP   LINUX VIRAL-LAPTOP        NONE Put description
>         here
>

>          /home/viral/aips1/31DEC08/LINUX/SYSTEM/VIRAL-LAPTOP/CDVER.SH:
>         Not found
>

>              Is this true?
>
>     cd /home/viral/aips1/31DEC08/LINUX/SYSTEM/
>     ls
>
>     what does it say?
>
>     bash: cd: aips1/31DEC08/LINUX/SYSTEM/ls: No such file or directory
>

>     Then cd VIRAL-LAPTOP and ls - what does that say?
>
>     ls: cannot access -: No such file or directory
>

>                /home/viral/aips1/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD/ZSTRTA.EXE: 1: Syntax
>                error: "(" unexpected
>
>     cd  /home/viral/aips1/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD/
>     ldd ZSTRTA.EXE
>     file ZSTRTA.EXE
>
>     what do these say?
>
>    viral at viral-laptop:~/aips1/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD$ ldd ZSTRTA.EXE
>     not a dynamic executable
>    viral at viral-laptop:~/aips1/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD$ file ZSTRTA.EXE
> ZSTRTA.EXE: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC32PLUS, V8+ Required, Sun
> UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked
> (uses shared libs), stripped
>

>            STARTPMON: [VIRAL-LAPTOP] Cannot find
>            /home/viral/aips1/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD/TPMON.EXE
>

>     Is this true?
>

>                STARTPMON: [VIRAL-LAPTOP] Will NOT start any TPMON daemons.
>                XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on viral-laptop
>                /home/viral/aips1/31DEC08/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS: 225:
>                ./TVSERV.EXE: not found
>                XASERVERS: Start XAS on viral-laptop, DISPLAY :0
>                /home/viral/aips1/31DEC08/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS: 225:
>         ./XAS: not
>                found
>
>     Are these true?  (you are in the load area so ls -laF TPM*
>                                                  ls -laF XAS*
>                                                  ls -laF TVS*
>
>   viral at viral-laptop:~/aips1/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD$ ls -laF TPM*
>   ls: cannot access TPM*: No such file or directory
>   viral at viral-laptop:~/aips1/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD$ ls -laF XAS*
>   ls: cannot access XAS*: No such file or directory
>   viral at viral-laptop:~/aips1/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD$ ls -laF TVS*
>  ls: cannot access TVS*: No such file or directory

WOW!  You have truly dug a deep hole of some sort.  You are on a LINUX
machine with a few Solaris load modules but most are missing.  Your
system, areas are missing even the generic versions and certainly the
specific versions required to execute.

   If I were you, I would delete everything rm -rf $AIPS_ROOT/31DEC08.
Then I would look at the file ~/.AIPSRC and see what it says.  I suspect
that it identifies your machine as SUL.  Then start over

         perl install.pl -n

and think about the questions it asks and reply carefully.