[daip] Problems with AIPSDEC08 installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jan 9 15:14:58 EST 2009

Miguel Ángel Pérez Torres wrote:
> Dear Dr. Greisen,
>
> I have just made a binary installation of AIPS DEC08 in my Macbook Pro
> (Leopard, version 10.5.5). Everything seems to install properly and, as
> far as I don't run aips in TV mode, AIPS works. However, if I invoke
> aips in tv mode, the program stops once I introduce my aips number.
>
> You can find below and example:
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC08 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC08) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA0B
> AIPS 1: THIS MEANS THE TIMDEST LIMIT IS SET TO VALUE IN SP FILE OR 14.0
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host localhost, user torres
> XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1430 height 800,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
>
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?5876
>
> At this point, the program stops reacting.
>
> I am not sure whether this could be related to the fact that I use
> xgterm, which I actually need for getting labels and text in the TV
> (which I cannot get with a normal xterm), but this was not a problem in
> the past (you already helped me to fix this problem long ago).

Is the XAS program still apparently running at this point?  What happens
if you kill the XAS?

AIPS does try to open and close the TV right after reading the user
number in order to learn things about the TV (number planes, size of
planes, etc).  It would seem that it is unable to communicate.

Have you set up the system services properly?  Try with TV=local

Note that the xgterm is for the message and TEK services and should not
be relevant to the TV.