[daip] FDEFAULTS and CCOPTS for Intel Compilers.

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 13 10:29:07 EST 2009

Everton Ludke wrote:
> Dear Aips friend,
>
>     I want to give a try and compile the AIPS 2009 version in Linux
> Slackware 12.2
> with gcc/g77 version 4.2.4 and Intel (icc and ifort) version 11.0.
>
>     I tried building the whole system with this version of gcc/g77 but I
> got
> segmentation faults when runing FILAIP or POPSGN despite the fact all
> compilations in INSTEP2 and INSTEP4 ended successfully.
>
>     Please email me the CCOPTS.SH and FDEFAULT.SH set ready to the Intel
> compilers since I think it is merely a problem with setting suitable
> compiler
> options.

There are 3 files in $SYSLOCAL - FDEFAULT.SH, CCOPTS.SH, and LDOPTS.SH.
  In each of these the COMPILER=xxx line must be changed so that xxx
points at the desired compiler.  In general the rest of the file
*should* work okay.  I say should because in fact it won't work with
ifort 11 without a change.  The -axNP option in all 3 needs to change to
-axWPT.

Before you do this - check your LDOPTS.SH file.  If it calls for ifort
which I think it does by default, you should change it to point at your
gnu fortran compiler and try relinking e.g.
       COMLNK $AIPPGM/{FILAIP,POPSGN}
Then
     RUN FILAIP
answer 6 2
     RUN POPSGN
answer 0 POPSDAT TST
answer a Enter key

If they work now, then
     cd $TST/$ARCH/INSTALL
     rm *.LIS
     INSTEP4

I am assuming that gnu 4.2.4 is actually gfortran not g77.  I expect
that the intel-compiled things will run faster.  NOte that we have hit a
bug with the Intel linker - it will not allow us to specify libraries
twice in the list of libraries even with link libraries.  If you hit this:

cd $LIBR
mkdir JUNKSUB JUNKLIN
cp APLSUB/SUBLIB JUNKSUB
cp APLLINUX/SUBLIB JUNKLIN
cd $SYSLOCAL
edit LIBR.DAT to change the 2nd link edit reference
    to APLSUB into JUNKSUB
    to APLLINUX into JUNKLIN
in all of the link edit lists (the 2nd half of the file)

We have protested this to Intel on several occasions - the response has
been to make it refuse to use link files under new names and require
real files.  The former could be maintained although it would destroy
aips installation, but the latter in not maintainable.