[daip] AIPS Installation problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jan 9 10:57:29 EST 2009

viral parekh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed Binary AIPS. It has loaded all the files but when I
> start the aips it gives me an error as a ZSTRTA.EXE file is missing.
> Then I searched that exe on net and I got it. I have placed it in
> aipsroot area where it was showing error. But again it shows the syntex
> error in that file. I downloaded it from
> 'ftp.aoc.nrao.edu/pub/software/aips/31DEC08B
> <http://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu/pub/software/aips/31DEC08B>'.
> Please Help me,

I trust you used install.pl -n to do the install which takes care of
many things in addition to copying the files.

cd to your $AIPS_ROOT area.
Then source LOGIN.CSH if you use tcsh or csh or . LOGIN.SH (note the
dot) if you use bash.
then type $CDTST

Then type aips and send me all the messages literally rather than just a
summary.  The usual trouble comes from things like the definition of
$SYSLOCAL.  The SITE name in the install must match that given in the
$AIPS_ROOT/HOSTS.LIST file.  If it does not then you will get $SYSLINUX
as your system file and it will be mssing essential ingredients.  One of
these is a flag to set the library path to include system files that
ZSTRTA.EXE (and all other executables) require.  It is not that
ZSTRTA.EXE is missing (you will find it in $LOAD where it belongs) but
that iut cannot execute.

But without the exact messages I am guessing...