[daip] ghost files in ~/aips/DATA/DISK_1 directory

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 23 16:06:52 EST 2009

schinner at mpia-hd.mpg.de wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I hope things are going well in Socorro.
>
> While cleaning up my AIPS directories on my local machine, I ran into a
> problem with a few accounts/user numbers on this machine. In these
> accounts (identified via REHEXing their numbers, e.g. 'Decimal number  200
> is '05K ' in extended hex') no files are listed in the catalog within AIPS
> (e.g. using 'pcat') but I do see several files when using, e.g. 'ls *05K*'
> in the ~/aips/DATA/DISK_1 directory. These users all have the
> CAD000000.*-file which I am guessing is the catalog file.
>
> Is there a way to recover these files+users? Or if not what is the
> best/savest way to remove these files to free up the disk space?
>
> Thank you very much,
>      eva

It would depend on what these files are whether there was anything worth
recovering.  The data files at MA* for images and UV* for uv data and
they can be recovered if there is a corresponding CB* file containing a
header.  Users with empty catalogs may still have left over some
save/get (SG) and message (MS) and the like.  Tell me what files you
find and I can provide better advice.

Eric