[daip] install

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 9 10:36:54 EST 2009

Yoshiaki Hagiwara wrote:
> The machine I'm trying to install AIPS is
> Mac Power book G4 with OS X 10.5.
> When I compiled source files of AIPS DEC03 version to this
> machine (OSX 10.3) before, there was no problem, but I cannot do it
> for the latest AIPS version. I don't know why.
>
>> cd $AIPS_ROOT
>> for tcsh) or   . LOGIN.SH  for bash shell
>> $CDTST
>> cd $LOAD
>> ls                  (there should be ~400 files)
>
> Of course, I've done this before I start "aips"
> , found 463 files in LOAD.
>
> What I tried so far is the just binary install
> with the command of perl ./install -n.
> I repeated the installation many times but
> AipsWiz stops installing, after putting
> Enter command MAKE.BMNJ - put it.

The PPX cpu chip has an IBM compiler that was not updated to the latest
operating systems.  We keep out PPX machine at a very old OS.

I do not know what you mean by

  Enter command MAKE.BMNJ - put it.

The install.pl process should continue after the MAKE.BMNJ section if
you keep hitting the Enter key even if MAKE.BMNJ fails.

Among the 463 files in $LOAD must be FILAIP.EXE so I do not make sense
of your previous comment that it does not exist.

One question - did you change the $SITE name accidentally or
deliberately when doing the new installation?  Check $SITE and the file
$AIPS_ROOT/HOSTS.LIST.  Then cd $TST/$ARCH/SYSTEM
is there a directory with your current SITTE name and is it populated
with files.  This is a common error when re-installing AIPS and can
cause all sorts of odd behavior...