[daip] installation problem, FILAIP not working

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 27 18:47:20 EDT 2009

Sambit Roychowdhury wrote:
> hi,
>    i am trying to install AIPS (classic) 31DEC09 version on my laptop, and i was trying
> the text installation. the OS is Ubuntu Linux 9.04 (Jaunty). after some initial hiccups,
> and quite a few library installations later, install.pl could complete upto INSTEP4, but
> then aborted while trying to run FILAIP. the output is attached as the text file
> "aipsinstallerror".
>    i changed the option LAPTOP="YES" in the $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN files, and the RUN FILAIP,
> gave 8 2 as input, but it still didn't work. the output from this stage is attached as
> the text file "filaiprunerror".
>    i would be very grateful if you can help me complete the installation.

For a text install, there are a number of questions to ask:

1. The most important is which compiler did you use - both the name and
the version number?
2. Are there any warnings in INSTEP4.LOG in the section related to FILAIP?

But I also always ask, why are you doing a text install?  If you laptop
has an Intel cpu chip, the Intel compiler will produce very much faster
load modules (40% or so on my desktop).  The binary installation for
Linux and for new Macs uses this compiler (which is not free).  If you
are planning to develop your own aips tasks, then you will need to do
the text compilation.  Otherwise, the binary is to be preferred.  Then
is something gets an abort - like your FILAIP - I can attempt to debug
it since we are running the same load modules.  FILAIP is very unlikely
to have bugs after so long, so I fear that your compiler has the bugs.