[daip] Aips freezes after entering user number

Matthew Merlo mmerlo at my.fit.edu
Thu Aug 27 16:52:29 EDT 2009

Hello

We are running AIPS on a Fedora Core 10 machine networked with nfs.  AIPS is
hosted on one machine and is shared via nfs to the other five machines on
our network.  AIPS starts up fine on the host machine, but on the other
network machines, it freezes after a user number is entered.  I have checked
the permissions for all the files in the DA00 folder without find a solution
to this problem.  The following is the output we get when starting aips from
one of the other machines.  Thank you for your help.

Matt Merlo

START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
  (Using global default file /usr/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /usr/AIPS/DATA/YODA_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called yoda
START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on YODA
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on yoda asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on YODA asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 2 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
AIPS 2: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 2: You are assigned TV device/server   7
AIPS 2: You are assigned graphics device/server   7
AIPS 2: Enter user ID number
?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on yoda
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on yoda, DISPLAY :0.0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: !!! Shared memory not selected !!!
XAS: Using screen width 1270 height 924,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on yoda, display :0.0
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on yoda, display :0.0

AIPS 2: Enter user ID number
?2
AIPS 2:                          31DEC09 AIPS:
AIPS 2:      Copyright (C) 1995-2009 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 2:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 2:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 2: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 2: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.

At this point the terminal freezes and must be closed down, .i.e. we cannot
use ctrl-c to interupt AIPS.