[daip] Large buffer error

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 20 10:26:56 EDT 2009

Michele Pestalozzi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to reduce some ATCA data with AIPS, using a ParselTongue
> interface. These data have been taken with the newly installed broadband
> correlator CABB with  2GHz bandwidth over 2050 channels in each of the
> two IFs. The dataset, a 3.5-hour observation, all polarisation products
> (linear orthogonal feeds), is about 4.5GB. Once loaded with ATLOD I
> cannot do very much else than list the scans with LISTR, as all other
> tasks complain and say (e.g. for UVPLT): UVPLT1: UVGET: VISIBILITIES TOO
> BIG FOR BUFFER.
> What can I do? I am runnig the 31DEC07 frozen version of AIPS (without
> midnight job). Is an upgrade necessary? Or what else?

I have heard the suggestion that ATLOD does not work correctly with CABB
data.  Perhaps you should load the data into Miriad, delete the
outermost couple of channels, and then read the data into aips.  The
limit in 31DEC07 is 16384 = product of Number IFs * Number channels *
Number polarizations.  You are at 16400.  The 31DEC09 version of aips
offers many advantages over 31DEC07 and supports 32768 for this limit.
See the AIPSLetters from the web site:
     http://www.aips.nrao.edu/
for information on those improvements.