[daip] big disks

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 20 17:11:43 EDT 2009

Patrick P Murphy wrote:
> The guys are setting up the rescued host valen (the replacement for four
> old AIPS Caige machines) and it has a big honkin' disk:
>
>    : valen_pmurphy; df -h /DATA/VALEN_1/
>    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>    /dev/md1              2.7T  438G  2.1T  18% /export/data_1
>    : valen_pmurphy;
>
> They've done a good job preserving the data areas from the four other
> machines, and are slotting them into 14 data areas on the new valen.
> However, I noticed this:
>
>> free
> AIPS 1: Disk Volume name                Total Full     Free Timd Access
> AIPS 1:  #                             blocks    %   blocks days
> AIPS 1:  1  /DATA/VALEN_1           *********   17*********   30 Alluser
>
> and I imagine a tweak of a FORMAT statement might be in order.  Thought
> you should know, even though this is a really minor thing.
>
> The users haven't been let loose on the box yet, but it is accessible.

Actually not so simple.  It was prepared to go to a larger format but
the size of your disk in kbytes overflowed a 32-bit signed integer!
I have changed the format to display Mbytes instead of kbytes - more
suitable to the modern world and more readable.  That meant 11 copies of
ZFRE2 plus one of ZFREE to change.

Thanks,

Eric