[daip] possible lpcal bug

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 8 18:50:34 EDT 2008

Cormac Reynolds wrote:
> hi,
>
> I think I've found a bug in LPCAL. I'm using it with a model of the
> source so have set NMAPS=1 and NCOMP=200 to select just the first 200
> clean components of that model. However, If you set 'NCOMP' to a value
> greater than 10, it aborts with the message:
>
> unctio> LPCAL1: TOO MANY MODELS ( >  10)
> unctio> LPCAL1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
>
> Looking at the code, it looks like there is some confusion between the
> number of models (i.e. fields) and the number of clean components per
> model.
>
> I can work round the problem by first running CCEDT to select the
> clean components that I want, and then setting NCOMP=0 and the program
> runs fine, but it seems like that extra step of running CCEDT should
> not be necessary.

The help file for LPCAL was confused on NCOMP which is in fact very
non-standard in that task.  NCOMP is the number of sub-models in each
facet - meaning the number of well-prepared CC files for regions over
which the polarization is constant.  I fear that CCEDT is essential here
since spatial contiguity is significant.  CCEDT has this mode in which
it rights multiple CC files for separate regions - a mode written to
support LPCAL in fact.

I have corrected the help file.