[daip] AIPS Installation problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 16 11:15:16 EDT 2008

viral parekh wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> I am a student at IISER, India and learning AIPS. I am trying to install
> it in my laptop. I am installing it with ./install.pl
> I have downloaded 31dec08.tar.gz and using Fedora-9 version.
> After giving ./install.pl command I can modified all the parameters
> which are in the screen 1-11.
> But after that I am getting following error
>
> AipsWiz: ==> Confirm: start the install with these settings [Y]: Y
> AipsWiz:  =====> Creating or updating HOSTS.LIST file
> AipsWiz:         -- Done.
> rsync: getaddrinfo: ftp.aoc.nrao.edu <http://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu> 873:
> Temporary failure in name resolution
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122)
> [receiver=3.0.2]
> AipsWiz:  =====> Configuring your AIPS_ROOT area...
> cp: cannot create regular file `./AIPSASSN.SH': Permission denied
> chgrp: cannot access `AIPSASSN.SH': No such file or directory
> chmod: cannot access `AIPSASSN.SH': No such file or directory
> AipsWiz: Error: Failed to copy AIPSASSN.SH to /usr/aips
> AipsWiz: Error: Check permissions on directory, and your uid/gid:
> AipsWiz: Error: `ls -ld /usr/aips; id`
> AipsWiz: Error: Cannot proceed further!
>
> AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
> AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.

First, please use daip at nrao.edu so that our system expert can also see
the message (he will see this reply).

Second - are you doing the binary installation (which we recommend)?
If so the tar file is not useful.  Binary is done with the command
      perl install.pl -n
where the -n calls for network installation.  It may switch to that
mode for other reasons too (contents of the ~/.AIPSRC file).

Third - there are 2 possible reasons for ultimate failures.  The first
of these is that you actually lack permission to write to the areas in
which you are attempting to install aips.  I suggest:
    cd /usr
    ls -l
and look at the ownership and permissions on the aips directory file.
The alternative is that the rsync error could have led to there being no
files to cp - but that should not produce a Permission denied message.