[daip] aips is not working.

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 6 10:37:40 EDT 2008

Akash Pirya wrote:
> Dear Sir
>
> I installed AIPS but it is not working. For your kind consideration I'm
> sending the messages file which are in text format.
> You can open these files using vi editor or geditor.
> Actually when I started AIPS, tv server is not opening however message
> server and task server opened but after some time they crashed.
>
> Please suggest me what should be done now.
>

> [akash at HANUMAN ~]$ aips tv =local
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
>   (Using global default file /data/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /data/AIPS/DATA/HANUMAN_1
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called hanuman
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on hanuman asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on HANUMAN asynchronously...
> Usage: AIPSEXEC [REMOTE] [DEBUG] [LOCAL] [NOEX]
> [akash at HANUMAN ~]$ XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on hanuman
> TVSERVER: could not get ssslock service by name: Success
> TVSERVER: Check your /etc/services or NIS/YP map
> XASERVERS: Start XAS on hanuman, DISPLAY :0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 255
> XAS: sssin is not a service
> XAS: Check /etc/services or YP/NIS services map
> zssslk: tcp/ssslock NOT A SERVICE
> XAS: Quitting NOW.
> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on hanuman, DISPLAY :0
> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on hanuman, DISPLAY :0
> STARTPMON: [HANUMAN] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
> ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
> ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!

You should change your /etc/services file to include the AIPS
services - see
     http://www.aipc.nrao.edu/aipsmgr/
But the failure here was due to mis-typing.  You cannot put a space
in the tv=local part of the command line.  The START_AIPS proc tried to
start Inet servers because of that blank.

These messages do not indicate whether AIPS itself worked or not.  The
servers failed to come up is all that these messages show.