[daip] AIPS help

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 31 12:32:52 EDT 2008

Manash Samal manash wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>                While running FITTP task of AIPS after producing an
> image, I found the following error:
>
> ARIES3> FITTP1: Task FITTP  (release of 31DEC04) begins
> ARIES3> FITTP1: Writing to disk file: TT.FITS
> ARIES3> FITTP1: ZERROR: ON FILE TT.FITS
> ARIES3> FITTP1: ZERROR: IN ZTPOPD ERRNO = 2 (No such file or directory)
> ARIES3> FITTP1: TAPIO: ERROR   6 OPENING FILE
> ARIES3> FITTP1: COULD NOT OPEN OUTPUT FILE.  IER=   8
> ARIES3> FITTP1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
> ARIES3> FITTP1: aries31      31DEC04 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0
> I tried with different extension, but nothing turnout ok.
> Please help me to sort out the probelm.

OUTFILE must be of the form 'LOGICAL:NAME' where LOGICAL is some
environment variable which you set before you enter AIPS.  If LOGICAL:
is omitted, then FITS: is assumed.  It is possible (a bug in the install
proc) that the $FITS area does not exist - which would be consistent
with the above error message.  $FITS defaults to $AIPS_ROOT/FITS so one
fix would be to create that directory.