[daip] problem because of xterm?

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 6 11:14:25 EST 2008

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:55:58 -0600, Patrick Palmer
   <ppalmer at oskar.uchicago.edu> said:

> I am having a lot of trouble with xterms.  I am running Ubuntu (all the
> most recent updates).

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 (also current), with a snapshot of 31DEC08 (dating
from before Eric's recent TV changes, which should be a red herring when
it comes to tek and message servers and xterms).  I have not seen this
problem; see the screen shot I took just now:

   http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/ubuntu-xterm-aips.png

But I know this is not terribly helpful :-}

> I use the gnome-terminal because it seems to work mostly like xterms.
> However when I try to run aips, the xterms that should be started (TEK
> and the Message server) die with segmentation faults.

Can you type "xterm &" and get a reasonable looking one that behaves
well?  Is it possible that the TEKSRV.EXE or MSGSRV.EXE files in your
$LOAD area are old?  Those are some of the issues I can think of off the
top of my head.

Eric is right about the environment variables, but be warned that I
don't think gnome-terminal can emulate a tektronix like xterm can.

 - Pat M. (still lurking on daip even after all these years)

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.     NRAO Webmaster, Computing Security Manager
 http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/          http://chien-noir.com/maze.shtml
                                    -- Thomas Jefferson, August 13, 1813