[daip] [bananas] Question about XAS Tv displays in use

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 6 17:45:59 EST 2008

Deidre Hunter wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I have installed and updated 31DEC08 and did some experimenting. The
> AIPS display works with Colors set to "millions" but not "256".  I will
> either switch between the two as needed, or learn to use ds9.
>
> However, in the process of all this I found another problem. If after a
> reboot, I bring up X11 and start up aips, aips works fine. Then I exit
> aips, exit X11, bring up X11, bring up aips, and I get the "shared
> memory" failure message. If I reboot, bring up X11, start up aips, run
> aips, exit aips, kill the aips associated windows, exit X11, and then
> bring up X11 again and start aips, I get a message "MakeLink: bind error
> (INET): address already in use. TvSERVER told to shut down by XAS". If I
> reboot, everything is OK for the first entry into aips. Is there
> something that is not being cleared when I exit aips that I could
> address without having to reboot?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Deidre Hunter
>

> On Mar 5, 2008, at 1:29 PM, Eric Greisen wrote:
>
>> I have released the revised 31DEC08 XAS code.  I think it may still
>> work on 8-bit displays, but none here are set up to test that.  The
>> 24-bit is so much nicer and no longer all that slow.
>>
>> Let me know if you have problems.
>>
>> Eric Greisen
How are you  killing the TV?  Shared memory has to be given back to the
system which we do with an abort handler.  If you kill the window in
such a way as to prevent the abort handler from working, that shared
memory remains in use and the system may complain.  If you type the Esc
key in the TV window or use the KLEENEX rather than EXIT verb, the TV
will shut down properly.  After it has shut down, the Inet TV will take
some time before your OS knows that the named socket has been released
(up to ~5 minutes sometimes!).  The local TV uses unix sockets (aips
tv=local) which are recovered instantly.

I am not sure what the settings "millions" and "256" mean.  I am used to
the formal X11 settings of TrueColor, TrueColor16, and PseudoColor.
AIPS is meant to work for the first and last.  What messages do you get
when you try it on the 256 setting?