[daip] External Disk, MAC

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 26 10:33:55 EDT 2008

Jose-Maria Torrelles wrote:
> Dear AIPS group, I have installed aips in a mac system and works very
> nicely.
> However, I am trying to mount externally (usb) a disk within aips.
> To define that disk I have added
> the line /Volumes/AIPS/DATA within the files DADEVS.LIST
> and NETSP, where the directory DATA contains the file SPACE (through
> "touch SPACE").
> This is, following the same procedure I have made within other systems
> (e.g. LINUX).
> However the disk is not mounted within AIPS (I have already runned
> "source LOGIN.CSH").
> The external disk has FAT32 format, I do not know if this could be a
> problem (?). FAT 32 is
> recognized within Mac.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any advisor on this.

I do not know why the disk is not seen - the line in DADEVS.LIST must
point at a directory name that is your data directory (directly or by
link) with a name that includes the name of your computer in upper case.
Thus in $AIPS_ROOT/AIPS/DATA I might make a directory link
ln -s /home/primate/appl/AIPS/data1 PRIMATE_1
and then enter a line in DADEVS.LIST
+  /Volumes/AIPS/DATA/PRIMATE_1
where my computer is named primate.

HOWEVER, FAT32 does not support all file operations that AIPS requires.
  It cannot do rename among other things.  You must use MACos extended,
with lower-case support.