[daip] AIPS problem with task VLANT

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 20 10:40:56 EDT 2008

Cameron Van Eck wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am using AIPS 31DEC08, on a MacBook Pro, with an Intel Core Duo
> processor.  I installed AIPS using the binary install option, which
> installed the MACINT configuration.  I've tried running VLANT repeatedly,
> on different days and on different subsets of the data, with the same
> result.
>
> I see from the copy of the file you sent me that there are not a really
> large number of corrections to be made.  Is there an AIPS task that lets
> one enter the corrections manually?  If so, I could whip up a run file
> that would do it for me, which would be an acceptable workaround for me.
>
> Thanks,
> Cameron Van Eck
>

>> I am afraid that I cannot confirm your problem.  I have tried your data
>> on my Linux box with 3 different compiler versions of VLANT.  What
>> verion of aips are you using, what kind of computer are you on, did you
>> compile aips locally and if so with what compiler?  More simply, did you
>> try a second time in case the /tmp/baselines.vlais08 file was messed up
>> in the fetch over the internet?  I attach the correct file.
>>
>> Eric Greisen
>>

> Cameron Van Eck
> 3rd year, Astrophysics

I just ran the task on my Mac Intel box (the one that does the compiles
for the binary install) and it ran fine.  There were a couple of
messages I did not see in the output you sent

TFETCH: wget OF DATA FILE FAILED AFTER wget
Trying curl instead

I have a suggestion - try taking the file I sent and putting in the
directory $AIPS_ROOT/TEXT/STARS/ under the name VLA.ant.2008 and then
run VLANT again.  It resorts to the wget/curl if that file is not there.

Also take a look at your /tmp area and see what is there

CLCOR is the old-fashioned way to do these corrections under rules
described in the web site.  Those rules are onerous enough I decided to
write VLANT.